Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Mekong and Massage



Well, we had a lovely night at the Victoria Can Tho. Very charming hotel, with excellent service. The children played at the pool after our long trip and we had dinner. They had the first childrens' meal menu we have seen in Vietnam. The other kids had the nuggets, but Josie of course went for the goat cheese ravoli.
All this comfort is juxtaposed to the poverty that we see much closer here than anywhere else. I think between that and being close to their original "home" has made it emotional for both Tien and Josie. In the north everyone asked Kurt if he was Vietnamese and not Tien and Josie. But here it is Tien and Josie that are asked if they are "Vietnam". Faces that that could be theirs, but grown up are everywhere. I can see already that this trip has paid off for both of them in a way that can never be measured. I think that knowing Vietnam and seeing Vietnam gives them a much stronger sense of their selves and their place in the world. I think even home (Oregon, Family and Friends) has a much stronger meaning for them. They love Vietnam, but they love home, the true meaning of home.
Yesterday we went on a cruise of the Mekong River to a wholesale produce market, all on boats. The Mekong is the life blood of this region. It is transportation, food (fishing) and home to many. The wholesaler advertise what they are selling by putting their produce on a high pole, so you can see what they have to sell. Then smaller boats come to buy and take back to their village to sell. It was really fun to see. The highlight for the kids was when a small boat with two little children came to sell us water, which we already had. The boys were so cute and I wanted to give them something (I have included a picture of them). Then I realized I had just given our kids a piece of candy from our candy bag. I gave them each a handful and their smiles were huge.
That afternoon all the parents got massages at the hotel. They have lovely little spa, with little grass huts. Very inexpensive, $16 for a half hour. The parents took turns, as the kids played at the pool. A relaxing afternoon for all. Today we are going back to Saigon, with some stops on the way.

Thank you Nicole and Curtis, Viv, Sarah, Judi, Elizabeth and Owen for your comments! Josie and I loved hearing from you. Sarah congratulations on the job! I am going to miss you so much!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dana and Josie,

Thanks for sharing pictures from your trip. It's great to see what things really look like. I am glad you had a good experience at the orphanage. The water market looked so interesting! Can you believe your time is coming to an end?

Dana, I am going to miss you too! But, I promise, I will visit RH. Plus, you, Judi and I will have to make a date once a month to go and get dinner/lunch/happy hour!

:) Sarah

Aunt Booty said...

Hi Josie and Dana, What a wonderful trip. We love reading about it all. We miss you !!! BBR is not the same w/out you ! Josie beautiful nails. We love you, Aunt Booty, Lindsey, Cole B and the Big guy

tina said...

wow!!! you guys look like you are having a blast. this is the first time i have gotten a chance to peak at your blog, my crazy babies don't let me do a thing--hee hee. i am so excited that you are having so much fun and boy do i have a lot of reading to do to catch up on your adventures!

Karen Lokting Montgomery said...

Whenever we've been talking about your trip, I have imagined the depth of emotion for Josie to see what life is like in her birth country compared to the life she has at "home". It is so great that she got to experience it and has a frame of reference...she is so lucky on many levels!

Have a safe trip home!
Karen (David, Abby and Alex!)